Elaine and the Animals of Shiloh

Elaine and the Animals of Shiloh

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Moose and Me

Its been several weeks since my last adventure update. I have not been to my favorite place on earth for several weeks due to an unforeseen bout with pneumonia, which snuck up on me like a thief.

A few weeks ago a very exciting thing happened at Shiloh, the long awaited draft horse Moose was delivered by his owner who could no longer care for him. Oh yes, imagine my excitement when Jill told me of this big boy. What a wonder he his 18 hands and the most lovely horse. He is not a Granite and no horse will ever replace him in my heart but do I dare dream the Moose will share my heart along side Granite. He is something else, very, very pretty with a long flowing tail that has streaks of gold through it and a puffy little Afro due in the front, with his long and lushes mane. (love those pretty manes and tails to comb). He is sweet and somewhat gentle for his massive size. I had the wonderful treat of grooming him and just getting to know him. Jill and Sally invited me to take him for a walk and to turn him out for a run. I was very happy to accept this task. He bowed his head beautifully to let me put on his halter and off we set. We took a quick right turn out of his corral and another quick right and we were on our way. Another turn to the right and heading for the turn out, when what to our wondering eyes should appear, but a Llama. Inca was sitting in the sand sunning herself, minding her own business. Moose however, has never seen a llama and by the look in his eye he thought it was some prehistoric horse eating creature laying in wait to eat him. What happened next was completely predictable if you are a horse and you think there is a horse eating llama laying in wait to make you his first meal of the day. Yes, all 1,600lbs +/- of giant horse "FREAKED". Having been well trained by Jill, Sally, Dave and various other horse people I did what you have to do when a giant decides he is leaving town, let go. Oh yes I did, I let him go and off he trotted to the water trough just outside the bachelor pad, were he quickly grabbed a drink and began a nice introduction to the horses on the other side of the fence. Guess the llama was no longer a threat or the thought of having a horsie chat with some new friends was more inviting than freaking out about a funny faced llama. Funny how horses one second complete freak out and run around like a chicken and then a few seconds later are just standing their like nothing happened. Moose was probably embarrassed, after he realized he freaked out over a llama and was just playing it casual, as if to say, oh I was just kidding I knew that was llama. Silly boy. I snatched up his rope, let him finish his drink and the introductions to future pasture mates and took him back to his corral, enough for one day. Day one with Moose, llamas are not horse eating monsters. Back to his corral safe and sound, a little treat, some chit chat, a few pets and it was time for me to go. I did not want to go, I could have stayed their all day just standing on the fence looking at this big beautiful sweet face horse. A giant draft, the horse I have always wanted to have standing before me and maybe, just maybe he could be mine.

Jill told me she would evaluate Moose to see if we could be a match. I need a calm horse, one that does not need an enermous amount of training and one that fits for me. Later in the week Jill sent me the email that would make me grin from ear to ear. Yes, she though Moose and I would be compatible. I was so excited I could not sit still and I think I went straight to face book updated my status, sent a couple of text messages and relished in the thought that this amazing horse could be mine.

Its a bitter sweet place, I miss Granite in a huge way and find myself thinking why couldn't I have been able to have him longer, he was so awesome and he meant so much to me. I miss him like crazy, even as I type this now tears stream down my face. I just love that horse more than words can express. Thats the bitter. The sweet, Moose is very cool, very sweet, I just look at him and am amazed, he is a whole different horse from Granite, he is young, he is huge, he is a challenge, he is what I had always thought was beautiful in horses. Those big giants are so amazing and to imagine he could possibly be my horse if all works out, is so exciting and scary. Me and him will have many hurdles, we have passed one, the llama, on to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment