Elaine and the Animals of Shiloh

Elaine and the Animals of Shiloh

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Back in the Saddle Again


Finally, back to the ranch on Friday after such a long time away. I think I started smiling at Durango and the Beltway and grinned all the way to the ranch. Arriving at the ranch was great, it has been so long and I was so happy to be their. Quickly exiting my truck, throwing on my shoes, I made a beeline for Stretch. I have to check on my other big guy. He really is #1 big guy, really love this old boy. He was eating his morning meal in the pasture next to his favorite girl Vanilla. I climbed through the fence, not over, too out of shape to go over the top. Note to self start exercising, NOW. I walked through the pasture and up to Stretch, he looks good and Vanilla actually did not leave when I arrived. She has been more friendly lately. Wow, two years of getting to know this horse and she finally accepts me, could it be. We will have to wait and see. I bid farewell to my big buddies and head for the other big boy, Moose. A quick stop at my tack room to drop off my stuff and off I go to see Moose. On the way I notice a formidable foe, Salsa is on the loose, can a girl not catch a break? This means I will have to take some detours in order to avoid this sassy little donkey. Oh, I feel like Moose did last week, a man eating donkey laying in wait for me. This donkey has terrorized Ben on several occasions not to mention my self. Ben and I both have had to take full on running leaps into corrals when this pesky beast decides to attack. He is such a naughty donkey, but I still love him, even if he has predator attitude towards humans. After my unplanned detour I have finally reached Moose's corral. I really just have to stand their and look at him, he really is a fine looking horse. I must admit he is a little intimidating, all that size. Wow. Today is the day I learn a valuable lesson. I started out a bit apprehensive, he makes me nervous, I am unsure of him, I do not know his personality and he is nothing like Granite. He is young, he is large or should I say enormous and we have not spent much time getting to know each other. I entered his corral and patted him and chatted for a bit. He was eating and when Moose eats that's all he does, he just eats. I decided to groom him, he was looking a little messy. Off to my tack room I go, couple of minor detours to avoid Salsa, apologizes to the breakfast club, who were anxiously waiting for their special treats, which I did not have, and I have my stuff to take care of Moose's grooming needs. I put on his halter, which in its self is not easy, he stands probably 18 hands tall, luckily he is quite cooperative, to a point. Its the rope halter so you know how many times I have turn that around to figure out which way it goes, yes now only two or three, down from the old thirty or so times. I forgot how to tie the knot so I struggled with that for a minute. I really did not get the halter on tight enough but Moose was over it, he can only stand to wait so long before he wants to finish his meal. His former owner was probably way more savvy than me. I started his grooming, its a tall order brushing down this big guy. Half an hour later he is all brushed, not his tail or mane though, just his body. Eric and Sharil invite me to bring Moose in to the turn out with their horses. We talk about my fears regarding Moose, could I be a good owner to this really great horse, they give me good advise. The thought of not owning Moose makes me really sad and brings tears to my eyes, I think he is right for me but I am apprehensive. Oh dear God, great, yes I want to bring Moose to the turn out, but last week there was the killer llama escapade and I am a little unsure of myself and my ability to control Moose. I well, I would not really restrain him, cause that would be dumb, but control, make him know I am in charge. Well, cannot win any wars if you do not enter the battle, so here I go. I am apprehensive, I hate to admit it but he intimidates me and I know I cannot let this happen, he will sense it and react. I put on his rope and go all the way around the turn out to bring him to the gate. I did not take the short cut because I am intimidated and I guess afraid to cut through City Center in case something goes wrong. I opt for the safer long way around, all though their could be lurking killer llamas, I will have to take my chances. He is a little pushy on the way, he wants to run me over, I think he knows I am nervous and inexperienced. We arrive at the turn out, and I open the gate and let him in, oops,wrong turn out its the other one, I retrieve the big guy and put him in the right one. By this time, Iceman and Sawyer are in the turn out and Cochise is on his way. Sharil and Eric get Moose running and kicking its awesome to see. The other horses, for lack of a better word, have expressions of "Holy Shit" is that a horse? He is so much larger than the group its crazy. He is not much for hanging with the herd and insists on hanging out in the corner, pretending he is thirsty. I think he was shy and wanted to be invited to hang with the herd. Sharil got him moving but only for a little bit. I don't think draft horses are much into running around. He spent most of his time hanging by me at the water trough. After a while I wanted to see if he was hanging with me or hanging at the water trough, so I walked along the fence towards the gate, he quickly followed and when I got to the gate he opened it and left. What the hell, I was shocked, we had not chained the gate, it was closed, but Mr. smarty pants opened it with his nose and left. I was standing their completely amazed, what did he just do. Eric hollered over to me to go get him, hello, Elaine wake up I thought, Moose just left. I walked over with a rope to get him and he left again, ok, I am intimidated, so what do intimidated people do when they don't think they can do something? Eric, Eric, can you help me, its embarrassing, what a wimp I am. Eric, the nice guy that he is walked over to get him. Moose decided to walk away through the mare motel, greeting as he went, Eric caught up with him and brought him back. Lesson One, you will never get anywhere if you allow your fears to over come you. Eric handed me the rope, with some advise about not letting him walk all over me, I indicated I would take him back to his corral and I am not taking the long way either, I need to buck up and take it like a man. Heart pounding, rope in hand I set off. Moose is pushing it he knows I am uncomfortable, he walks a little too fast. Moose does not do this for a more experienced person, he is well behaved, but like all horses you have to show them you are a leader or they will take advantage. A few pointers from Eric and I am heading to City Center, I know I am nervous cause I feel my heart beating, come on I am not new to this, I have been around two years now, get a grip. Eric and Sharil walk back with me and I have Moose under control. I have a short hold on his halter and I am swinging the rope in front of us to stop him from trying to move too quickly. He almost steps on me, oh that would have hurt, but all in all by the time we get to the corral and after a photo session thanks to Eric and Sharil we make to the corral. Sharil had me stop to take a deep breath and find the Zen. I did and I feel much better. I have allowed Mooses size to intimidate me, respect it I should, be intimidate I should not. I spent the rest of the afternoon, in his corral, getting to know this gentle giant. I combed his tail and mane and man did he look good when I was done. I ate lunch with him. He tried several times to eat my sandwich, dude, horses do not eat chicken sandwiches. I gave him some of my apple, he spat it back at me, it was a small gala, he evidently does not like small galas, he went through some weird, Ew, Ew, contortions and reproduced the apple on the ground. I did not give him a whole apple either, not sure what that was about, but he did enjoy the Fiji apple I offered next. It was nice hanging out with him. We had visitors to the party, two mini donkeys and Charlie, they shared what was left of the gala apple and all was well. I cannot think of a better group to have lunch with, light on conversation, cause I was the only one talking and they were all listening, very nice.

It was a great day, Lesson #1 conquered. It will take sometime but as I bid farewell to Moose and the ranch, I know next time it will be easier.

Charlie walked me to the gate, I like Charlie and I think he likes me. We stopped to visit Mama and baby, Mama is a super nice horse. I had no treats for her but she just wanted to hang out and baby was their too, both of them eager for attention. She shooed Charlie off, she is a good mother. Charlie did not care he wandered over to the golf cart and proceeded to rummage through the empty bins and bags for a tasty treat. I hung out with Mama and baby for awhile, Mama was just so sweet, she will make someone a great horse and she is a really good Mama. The baby is pretty cute too. This horse was a horse that was found wandering in the desert, poor thing was so thin when they found her. We had no idea she was pregnant when they found her, but when she simply would not put on weight and kept getting rounder it was clearly this mama was going to have a baby. I am so glad Jill found her and took her in. Its really a miracle how the lost horses of the desert always find their way to Shiloh. Irresponsible owners dump them thinking that because they are horses they can survive in the desert, wow, there are some really dumb, cruel people out their. I bid farewell to Mama and baby and set off for home, as I pass Charlie he does not even look up, he is busy rummaging through the empty cans and bags, what a funny pony, what a great place.

1 comment:

  1. I love it!! Sounds like a great day! So, any decisions about moose yet?

    ReplyDelete